Tuesday, October 30, 2012

8 Mile Run & Upcoming Races

I've fallen off track with Ripped in 30 the last week. I got a little sick, then I was home with a sick 2 year old who was throwing up all night and day. Not fun! I plan on getting back on track tomorrow! I'll start week 4 next week and then I might start the whole thing again or go back to the 30 Day Shred. We'll see!

I did run as much as possible, even when I wasn't feeling too hot. I knew last week would be the last week I could take Jack out for runs after work so I took advantage of it. Saturday I went to a baby shower in the morning so I planned my long run for that afternoon. I wasn't looking forward to it but knew I'd feel worse if I skipped it. I was planning on doing a route that takes me about 6.5 miles. I did 7 a couple weeks ago and something in me wanted to push for 8. I decided I'd see how I felt.

On long runs it always takes me a couple miles to warm up and settle in. At first I was tired and feeling like it would be a struggle to even do 6. Then I got more into it and I let my legs take over. I listened to an audiobook and I think that helped. Instead of focusing on the run I was focused on the book. It was great! I hit 7 and kept going for 8. When I get into the zone like that I feel like I could run for hours. It makes me wonder just how many miles could I run if I didn't have a goal? Running is just as much of a mental sport as it is physical and I think if I had someone to run with or had an audiobook to distract me, I could run for over 3 hours. Maybe running a full marathon wouldn't be as scary as it sounds! But that's years down the line!

For now I need to focus on training for my upcoming races! I'm registered to run a 10K this Sunday and it'll actually be my 35th official race. Crazy! I'm looking forward to it and again, I'm not going into it with any time goals. Although I have run this race in the past and I'm curious to see how my times will compare.

I'm also officially registered for the Rock 'n' Roll half marathon in D.C. next March! It'll be my 2nd half and I can't wait! I'm not sure how training will go since I won't be running during the week very much, if at all. I'll still run long runs on the weekends but I love the shorter weekday runs and I think they're important. I might run with a group 1 night a week but with Sidney working nights, I'd have to find someone to watch Jack. Hopefully I can work something out! Maybe I'll run sprints up and down the stairs. You gotta do what you gotta do, right?!

Oh, and my total mileage for October? 64.84! My best month yet! :) 

What upcoming races are you looking forward to?

No comments: