Tuesday, January 27, 2015

21 Day Fix and Treadmill Running

Now that I finally posted my 50K race recap, I'm going to do my best to post more regularly the things that are going on day-to-day.

I'm currently doing the 21 Day Fix and let me tell you guys...I love it!! It consists of 7 different 30-minute workouts and portion controlled eating. I measure my food in these awesome little containers for every meal:

I'm going to post either photos or a video of what a meal looks like. These containers look small. Believe me, I freaked out a little when I first saw them! But it holds quite a bit of food and the whole point is to teach you what a proper portion looks like. I used to eat 2-3 servings of pasta and cereal at a time, easy! And I didn't think anything of it. This was before I started counting calories. But even when you're eating clean, you can be eating too much. What I love about this system is there aren't any calories to be counted. No logging in to an app to record every single thing that goes into my mouth. No more worrying if I'm eating enough or eating too much. I get 2 purples a day, which is fruit, and it's up to me how I use them. Very easy!

This morning I did Pilates Fix and then made my regular breakfast: a chocolate shake! It's so good and I find myself craving it later in the day too. I've been eating more veggies than I normally would on the Fix, which is great. Thanks to our new Ninja (Christmas gift from my dad!), I've been putting spinach in my shake every morning and I don't get any chunks. Just smooth and creamy goodness!

Here's my go-to recipe:

1 scoop vegan chocolate Shakeology
12 ounces water
Splash of unsweetened almond milk
1 Tablespoon all natural peanut butter
Half a banana
1 Teaspoon flax seeds
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Handful Spinach
10 ice cubes

Blend and enjoy!

In addition to the 21 Day Fix I'm also running. A lot. And apparently I've become a wimp to the cold and all of my runs have been on the treadmill at our apartment's gym. Thankfully it's open 24 hours! This past Saturday I ran 11 miles. No easy task on a TM but I got it done and felt great!

Yesterday morning I did sprints and ended up going the furthest I've ever gone in 1 hour.

I've gotten up to 101 miles for January so far. My goal is to hit at least 110 and I'm really aiming for 120. Then at least 75 every month to get me to my goal of 1,007 miles this year!

And yes, I really like that rainbow frame for my pictures! :P

I also discovered these nuggets of deliciousness.

I actually discovered Honey Stinger waffles awhile ago and have been using them on long runs. It helped me on my 20-miler and during my 50K. Sometimes I would even have half of one before a workout if I felt I needed the extra boost.

Then I discovered they make these smaller ones marketed for kids. They're the exact same, only smaller! The perfect size for mid-run fuel. Or to take care of that mid-afternoon sweet tooth. ;) I also like their chews for fuel during runs. I just bought one of their protein bars and I can't wait to give it a try. It's very hard to find bars, chews, etc. that don't have a lot of crap added to them. Honey Stinger is a great brand to try!

I'll post more meal ideas for the 21 Day Fix and show you what a full meal looks like. If there's anything you'd like to see or if you have any questions, please let me know!

No comments: