Wednesday, November 14, 2012

10 mile run

This past Saturday I set out for my 10 mile run. I knew it would take me over 2 hours to complete and I had mentally prepared myself. I had an audiobook on my iPhone, Sport Beans and Clif Shotbloks in my pouch, and water and Gatorade in my bottles. I headed out around 10:30am.

At about half way I stopped at a community center to use the bathroom. I also took a few very short walking breaks, which is something I never do! I ran very slowly, around a 13:00 mile, but my legs felt like they were going to give out on me. I had a few minor aches and pains and I didn't want to risk injury so I just took it nice and easy. It was one of the hardest runs I've ever done.

Like I said, I was mentally prepared for this run and having an audiobook really helps on my long solo runs. But physically it was challenging. I pushed through and finished in 2 hours, 11 minutes. I was so happy when it was over!

Here I am before starting out:

After showering and icing my legs for a few minutes, I enjoyed a rewarding lunch at Elevation Burger with my family. Definitely worth it! :)

Last night I was able to join a group for an easy 4 mile run. They run every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. After Thanksgiving I'm going to try and join them on Saturdays, but it's hard for me to go during the week. Sidney works most nights and I won't take Jack out in the cold. He ended up being off last night and I was able to get in 1 last run before the half.

It was great! I've gotten so used to running by myself that I had almost forgotten how nice it is to run with others. I kept a good pace and afterwards I felt like I could've kept going. The 10 mile run made me nervous but I got my confidence back last night. I know I'm going to be fine on Sunday. And dare I say I'm actually looking forward to it?!

1 comment:

Jac V. said...

You will do awesome! Just have fun! :) I'll be thinking of you when I do mine Sunday... which starts at 6:05 am! ugh...