Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Millennium Trail

I did it! I ran 11 miles on Saturday. It was hard and hot but I did it! And I didn't walk any part of it, which is always my goal. I followed a trail that is 10.6 miles long with mile markers every half mile. This was both a blessing and a curse! It was great to see how far I had gone and what I had left, but a few of the half miles seemed to drag on forever.

I started out at 8:55 a.m. The sky was a bit overcast and there was a nice breeze. The first 3 miles were great, weather wise. When I was down to my last 4 miles I was on an open road with no shade and the sun was blazing. I had a full-sized water bottle filled with water and 2 smaller bottles on my belt each filled with Gatorade. I poured a little bit of water on the back of my neck and the top of my head every now and then to get some relief. At some point in the last 2 miles I ran out of fluids. I even opened my water bottle and tried to get the last drops out. It was tortuous but once the end was in sight, nothing else mattered. I was so relieved to make it! I only stopped at the intersections and I never walked. I did run very slowly up a couple hills, but I never walked. I just kept thinking if I can't finish this, how am I going to finish a half marathon?

I treated myself to a delicious iced decaf caramel macchiato from Starbucks afterwards. It was the best tasting drink I've ever had!! Despite how hard and hot it was and how badly I wanted it to be over during those last couple miles, I felt great afterwards. No pain! I'm feeling ready for the half and I'm really looking forward to it!

My biggest worry is that my training will get pushed to the back burner and I'll lose everything I've worked so hard for. I just can't let that happen. There's a half in August just 5 minutes from me and another in September. I figure if I have those on my calendar it'll help get me out there even in the gross heat. I'm running at least 2 5K's in June and then I'll work on building my mileage back up to be ready for the August half.

My log:
Tuesday May 22:
3.84 miles
44:16 minutes
11:31 pace

May 24, 6:37pm:
3.38 miles
36:17 minutes
10:44 pace (my fastest pace ever while pushing Jack)

May 26, 8:55am:
11.40 miles
2:27:24
12:55 pace

May 28, 9:13am:
3.91 miles
47:37 minutes
12:10 pace

According to the app, I ran 11.40 on Saturday, but the trail is 10.6 miles and I went a little more to make it 11. This makes me wonder if it's wrong every time and maybe I'm not really doing as much as I think I am. I guess it's time for a Garmin! :)

I'm not sure if I'll run tonight or tomorrow night or both. I'm supposed to be taking it easy the week before the race, but that's really hard to do!

2 days from now I'll be checking in to the hotel and picking up my packet. Crazy!!

1 comment:

Jac V. said...

Ahhh!! I'm so excited for you!!! I wish you lots of luck!! You can do it!! Are there many hills in the half this weekend?