Friday, March 16, 2012

Mile Markers

A good friend gave me a running book for my birthday back in October: "Mile Markers: The 26.2 most important reasons why women run" by Kristin Armstrong. I decided to bring it to work and read while I eat my lunch. Normally I get on Facebook, Pinterest, or Blogger. But it's nice to take a break from looking at a computer screen, especially since I spend a good portion of my day doing so.

So far I really like it and it's definitely inspirational. I wanted to share a passage from the book that really struck me.

"There is an underlying purpose and meaning behind my training, always. It isn't about the next race or the next workout. It's about fitness and fortitude for the next test around the corner that I cannot see. When my next moment comes, I want to be strong enough and centered enough to handle it with some measure of grace. But perhaps even more importantly, I want to be fast enough to be first on the scene when a loved one needs me, and I want to be fit enough to help carry the load for as long as it takes to reach the other side."

I want to be strong. I want to be there for my son, always and in any way he needs. I want to feel good, inside and out. I want to be the best me that I can be. This is why I run.

Thank you, Eleni, for the inspirational book!

1 comment:

Jac V. said...

That's a great motivating quote. It should be something that all parents want to feel for their children - mentally and physically.

Oh, and I can scan the halfmarathon training pages for you... shoot me an email at - jacy {dot} vergara {at} gmail.com
and I will send it over! :)