Monday, May 17, 2010

2-Mile family fun run

On Saturday Jack and I ran our 2-miler. It was our first race and Jack was super excited!


It was a simple out and back run and I felt really good during the first half. The second half was harder and it felt like I was climbing this one long, winding hill forever. But I made it and I ran the whole thing, not stopping to walk once! I am very proud of that. It's only 2 miles, but it's still great! I don't know what my hang up is on walking. For some reason I feel like I have to run the entire distance in order for it to count. I know that it is completely silly and bogus, but it motivates me to keep going.

The first run was a 1K kids run. I love watching the little kids run and I hope that one day Jack will want to. I'm trying to set a good example and I hope he wants to follow in my footsteps (pun intended!). Our run was last and there were 3 dogs and 3 strollers on the course. Normally I'd be out on the 5-mile course with other runners, and now I'm running alongside dogs and babies feeling good at finishing 2 miles. It's amazing how different things are but I wouldn't change it for the world.


Here we are right after finishing our first race together. Jack fell asleep on the run and let me do all the hard work! Our race wasn't timed, but I finished in about 25 minutes for a 12-minute pace. There's another 2-mile family fun run in September, but hopefully we can find other ones before that.

2 comments:

B said...

That's so exciting! Jack is so lucky to have a mommy that is setting such a great example for him. I definitely could use to get out for more exercise and fresh air with Ava!

I know what you mean about not wanting to walk at all! Luckily the March for Babies walk we did was meant to be a walk, so I didn't feel that pressure, but I usually do also. And isn't running with a stroller difficult? Even when they're lightweight, there is something so awkward about it that really slows me down!

Waterfall said...

Congrats on your first race! That's great that you're being an example for Jack--the chance of him wanting to run are much greater. I'm also hoping my little one will be a runner like her mommy!